Thursday 30 September 2010

Whitewall Gallery Review [2nd Homework]

On Thursday the 30th of September I took a trip to the art gallery in Stratford-upon-Avon called Whitewall Gallery. In the past I have wandered past this place and taken a glance to see maybe one or two pieces which I think are really nice. Ive just never been able to see the rest of the magnificent art the shop has to offer!


As I walked in I was greeted by a lovely lady and I explained that I was doing a review of an arts gallery as part of my Media course at college.
I was looking at all of the pieces in the gallery, each one telling a different story. About 7 really stood out to me because of either their originality or just because they were just plain eye candy!


The first piece I liked was in the first section of the gallery, Rolf Harris's Section :)
I love his style of painting. The colours he uses give everything a fresh dimension and leap out of the canvas!
Paitings such as "Into the sun" which features a female tiger in her natural enviroment. Harris seems to somehow spice it with natural yet fierce colours. They seem to somehow warm you up from just looking at them.
Below, is another one of Rolf Harris's paintings that stood out amongst the rest. Featuring a boy trying to entice a "Shot silk blue Starling"


Trust by Rolf Harris
Trust - Rolf Harris


Into the Sun - Rolf Harris








The next painting I fell in love with was one by an artist called Ben Payne. It was titled Sunset Lake and selling at £1,275. If I had the money I would not even hesitate to buy this piece. It was sheer beauty. I love the way the artist captures the essence of the light and makes the water look like cotton wool. This painting just made me feel so cosy and snug as if I was in a tiny cottage next to a warm, roasting fire.


Finally, Damiens Dress, a piece done by Sarah Jane Szikora. This showed imagaination and interactivity between the person and the surroundings. The way the canvas on the left has been torn out and how the woman wears it as a dress and how they incorporate brings humour and laughter to the viewer.



Damiens Dress - Sarah Jane Szikora


I really enjoyed this weeks meida event task. I managed to explore creativity from numerous different minds and at the end of the day, managed to view some pretty down right nice artwork! If only I had the money...

No comments:

Post a Comment